What is a Cool Roof?
A cool roof is one that reflects the sun’s heat and emits absorbed radiation back into the atmosphere. The roof literally stays cooler and reduces the amount of heat transferred to the building below, keeping the building a cooler and more constant temperature. Imagine wearing a white or a black T-shirt on a hot day. By wearing the white T-shirt you will remain cooler than if you wore a black T-shirt because it reflects more sunlight and absorbs less heat. Cool roofs like a white T-shirt, keep the internal temperature of the building cooler.
However, a cool roof need not be white. There are many “cool color” products which use darker-colored pigments that are highly reflective in the near infrared (non-visible) portion of the solar spectrum. With “cool color” technologies there are roofs that come in a wide variety of colors and still maintain a high solar reflectance.
Florida Quality Roofing goes above the minimal standards for recommending and installing “cool roofs” in Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Palm Beach. As an FPL PARTICIPATING INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR, we are committed to promoting and installing energy efficient roofing systems which may qualify for energy savings rebates. Contact us for more information. To enhance our commitment to the sustainable roofing practices we have significantly increased the amount of energy efficient roofing installations throughout Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Energy efficient roofing systems include ; energy star rated shingles, to reflective clean self-adhering roofing systems, reflective roof coatings, solar panels, etc.
What are the Benefits of a Cool Roof?
- Increase ecological sustainability factor, or make your house “greener” by:
- Reducing your utility bills associated with air conditioning
- Increasing occupant comfort and avoid installing an air conditioner where there isn’t already one
- Decreasing the size and prolong the life of your air conditioning system
- Lowering roof maintenance costs and extend roof life, avoiding re-roofing costs and reducing solid waste
- Assist your home in meeting building codes
- Mitigate your community’s Urban Heat Island Effect
- Maintain aesthetics with a roof that performs and looks good
- Receive utility rebates (in some locations)
- Indirect benefits